In 1927, John Lough, the Town Clerk of the Woollahra Council instigated the formation of what was aptly called the Woollahra Golf Club. However, it would be five years before the course opened to the public on 11th April 1932.
In those early days the club was allocated 13 playing times for groups of four on Saturdays and Sundays and the club room was in the Grimley Pavilion on the Woollahra Oval. Sir Eric Harrison KCMG, inaugural deputy leader of the Liberal Party was elected the first club President and was followed by Hon. John Watson, the former Labour Prime Minister.
Shelling the fairway
The outbreak of World War Two was felt around the globe, even as far as the serene Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. In 1942 a Japanese submarine shelled the area with one of the shells landing unexploded near the pump house on the 6th fairway. A week after the harbour raid the Army converged on the Club to remove the shell.
Expanding the course
In 1953 Woollahra Council obtained an area of land from the neighbouring Royal Sydney Golf Club. This ensured that the Woollahra Golf Club would be significantly expanded and enhanced under the management of the council. The new land also resulted in the opening of a new clubhouse, and the Golf Club began operating as a company with a new constitution in 1956.
A new beginning
In 1960 the Golf Club took over the management of the course from the council. This signified a new era and exciting changes. The first order of business was a new course layout, which was designed by Prosper Ellis.