HISTORY OF WOOLLAHRA GOLF CLUB
In 1927, John Lough, the Town Clerk of the Woollahra Council instigated the formation of what was aptly called the Woollahra Golf Club. However, it would be five years before the course opened to the public on 11th April 1932.
In those early days the club was allocated 13 playing times for groups of four on Saturdays and Sundays and the club room was in the Grimley Pavilion on the Woollahra Oval. Sir Eric Harrison KCMG, inaugural deputy leader of the Liberal Party was elected the first club President and was followed by Hon. John Watson, the former Labour Prime Minister.
SHELLING THE FAIRWAY
The outbreak of World War Two was felt around the globe, even as far as the serene Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. In 1942 a Japanese submarine shelled the area with one of the shells landing unexploded near the pump house on the 6th fairway. A week after the harbour raid the Army converged on the Club to remove the shell.
EXPANDING THE COURSE
In 1953 Woollahra Council obtained an area of land from the neighbouring Royal Sydney Golf Club. This ensured that the Woollahra Golf Club would be significantly expanded and enhanced under the management of the council. The new land also resulted in the opening of a new clubhouse, and the Golf Club began operating as a company with a new constitution in 1956.
A NEW BEGINNING
In 1960 the Golf Club took over the management of the course from the council. This signified a new era and exciting changes. The first order of business was a new course layout, which was designed by Prosper Ellis.
60 years on, Woollahra Golf Club is now rated as one of the best 9 hole golf courses in the Sydney metropolitan area. We offer equal rights for men and women and encourage all members to take pride in their course. We have over 800 members who all enjoy playing either a 9 hole or 18 hole competition.
The Board of Directors is keen to ensure our future is a rosy one at Woollahra, encouraging all members to introduce new ideas to the Club. There are numerous committees within the Club and many opportunities to volunteer – whether it be on the Gardening Committee or Match Committee just to name a couple. The Ladies Committee runs a very tight ship and they are always thinking of ways to improve everyone’s enjoyment of the game of golf – men, ladies, intermediate and junior members.
We encourage new members to come and experience the friendliness of this delightful 9 hole golf course right in the middle of the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.
Woollahra Golf Club is located on land of the Gadigal people of the Eora nation.
We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians, and Elders past, present and future, of the lands on which we work and live, and further acknowledge, thank and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the land in the multitude of Aboriginal countries across Australia from which so many of our products come from.